Saturday, August 17, 2013

Achievement: unlocked.

Finally, at long last, I have accomplished my goal.

The job opportunity I spoke about in my last post was offered to me in late July. Everything has been official for a couple of weeks now, and I just finished up my first week at my new job.

As I had mentioned previously, I was a little worried about the salary, but I was able to negotiate a small increase in pay for myself over my previous job, which was just what I needed.

I had been offered a similar position about 4-5 years ago, but when I wanted to talk salary, they said that the salary they offered was the salary they were willing to give. There would be no negotiating. When you've reached the point I'm at in my career, and someone is telling you, "you're the guy we want running our systems," then to turn around and tell you that they think that job is worth $X when you think maybe it should be worth $Y, that set off an alarm for me, that maybe that job wasn't the one I wanted. So I waited. and it has finally happened for me.

I'm in an organization that's about 25% of the size of my previous one. While that may seem like a good thing starting out, it also means you have a lot less personnel to handle issues, and a lot of them ultimately end up falling on the person in charge. In this case, that would be me.

But honestly, y'all...I'm so happy to be there. I know it's going to be a lot more work, but at least now I feel like I'm a part of something, and that my input is valued again. I haven't felt that way for a couple of years, so I'm happy to take it on.

Juice also got a new job right around the same time I did, so we've managed to flip our whole lives upside down this summer. Her job is in the same place as her old one, just doing something new (with more pay - yay!), so it's going to be a bit of a struggle as we both adjust to new schedules and responsibilities, which also means that Peanut and Peach have some adjusting to do.

I just can't wait until my folks get here in the fall to help us out with some of this craziness.

So, celebrate with me, dear reader. Pop open a cold one and toast with me.

To new beginnings...

3 comments:

Dave said...

Congrats to you and Juice. I'm so glad that your patience paid off.

Lisa in NJ said...

YAY!!! Glad to see you are happy :)

jennifer anderson said...

hope all is well
you know people make texas sound like the promised land!